Elizabeth qualified as a solicitor in September 2015 and joined our Private Client team in February 2016. She aims to provide a personalised service to clients through identifying their needs and requirements.
Elizabeth advises private individuals on all aspects of private client work including:
- Advising on and drafting Wills;
- Advising clients in relation to mitigating Inheritance Tax on death by considering the destination of life policies and pension death benefits;
- Advising clients on lifetime gifts (both those to individuals and in to trust);
- Advising on estate and succession planning either during a client’s lifetime or through their Wills (to include Inheritance Tax planning);
- Advising beneficiaries of estates regarding their entitlement and in particular in redirecting entitlements under Deeds of Variation;
- Advising on and drafting trusts, including trusts to protect assets from attack, trusts to utilise Inheritance Tax reliefs and trusts to earmark assets for the next generation;
- Preparing powers of attorney – including Lasting Powers of Attorney and General Powers of Attorney;
- Registering Lasting Powers of Attorney and Enduring Powers of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian;
- Advising Deputies and Attorneys acting in the administration of the affairs of incapacitated individuals;
- Advising on and drafting Advance Decisions to Refuse Treatment (also known as Living Wills/ Advance Directives);
- Advising clients in the administration of estates to ensure Personal Representatives fulfil their responsibilities and obligations, including obtaining Grants of Probate/Grants of Letters of Administration and accounting to H M Revenue and Customs for Inheritance Tax; and
- Advising beneficiaries of estates regarding their entitlement and in particular in redirecting entitlements under Deeds of Variation.
Elizabeth is a mentor at the University of Law, a member of the Business Beats Cancer (Newcastle) Board and a member of both the Senior Common Room at Grey College Durham and the Junior Lawyers Division. Elizabeth is taking exams to become a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and is currently a STEP Affiliate Member.