Many thousands of people receive medical treatment every single day. In the vast majority of cases, this treatment is appropriate and effective. Unfortunately, things sometimes go wrong and the patient ends up worse off.
At Hay & Kilner, we have one of the leading Clinical Negligence teams in the North East of England, dedicated to helping victims of all types of clinical and medical negligence claims. Our dedicated team of specialists has been recognised as top-tier by The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, both independently researched guides to the legal profession.
Many people are in the dark about what they can do, and who they can turn to, if they have suffered a medical accident. Below are a few points about the process:-
- We offer an initial free consultation with one of our expert Clinical Negligence lawyers to discuss your case and advise whether you have a claim.
- If you decide that you wish to pursue a claim, we’ll discuss what funding arrangements are available and, in appropriate cases, we can offer funding on a No Win, No Fee basis so that there is nothing for you to pay if your claim is unsuccessful.
- We will obtain disclosure of your medical records and instruct independent experts to comment on the standard of the treatment you have received.
- We’ll contact the body that provided your negligent treatment to see if they accept responsibility for your injuries.
- If liability is admitted, we’ll obtain an interim payment of compensation on your behalf to pay for ongoing expenses and assist in arranging necessary rehabilitation.
- If we obtain supportive evidence from independent doctors in respect of your claim, it is likely that your claim will settle and you will receive compensation without having to give evidence.
- We will try to settle your claim where this is appropriate. However, there will be claims where there is no agreement between the parties and we will issue court proceedings on your behalf.
- We’ll maximise the recovery of compensation on your behalf to ensure that you have access to quality services and guaranteeing you the best quality of life
- You’ll normally have three years to make a claim, either from the date of your negligent treatment or from the point where you became aware that that care was responsible for your injuries.
For over 25 years, Hay & Kilner’s Clinical Negligence team has been recovering compensation on behalf of our clients with settlements ranging from tens of thousands to millions of pounds. We understand that bringing a claim can be stressful and are here to offer support and guidance from the outset. Our sympathetic team will take the time to listen to your concerns, understand what you are going through, discuss the options and offer you the support you need. We’ll be there to help you every step of the way.
If you would like to talk to one of our experts, please contact Clare Thompson, Partner in our Clinical Negligence Team at Hay and Kilner or telephone 0191 232 8345